One method of skin resurfacing is CO2 lasers which use Carbon Dioxide to remove scars, warts, and even deep wrinkles.
Co2 Lasers are a type of ablative laser that traumatizes the epidermis of the skin and heat the part. This action causes the growth of collagen fibers. After a short time epidermis regrows again and new parts of the skin appear smoother and tighter.
Different types of non-ablative lasers don't traumatize the skin but improve skin tone and texture by stimulating collagen fibers. Although non-ablative Lasers need less time for recovery, they are not as effective as ablative Lasers.
Depending on the patient's condition and desired goals, a plastic surgeon or dermatologist will decide to use different methods of laser treatments
CO2 laser skin resurfacing can be used to treat various conditions like:
• Fine and deep wrinkles
• Age spots
• Uneven skin tone or texture
• Sun-damaged skin
• Mild to moderate acne scars
• Large pores
• Superficial to deep hyperpigmentation
• Seborrheic keratosis
• Verruca vulgaris/plana
• Sebaceous gland hyperplasia
• Angiofibroma (fibrous papule of the nose)
• Junctional and compound nevi
• Lentigo simplex
• Small syringomas
• Epidermal melasma
• Rhinophyma (potato nose)
• Vocal cord nodules, cysts, and tumors
Patients who are not good candidates for Co2 laser resurfacing :
• Patients who have active bacterial, viral, or fungal infections
• Patients who have unrealistic expectations
• Poor general health
• Oral isotretinoin users(Accutane) use within the previous six months
• Fitzpatrick skin phototypes 5-6 (very dark skin)
• Other resurfacing procedures within preceding two to three months
• Unwillingness to accept the possibility of complications
• Eyelid laxity
• Patients with excessively thick or thin skin
• Different collagen vascular diseases
• Infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or systemic infections
• Tendency for keloid or thick scar formation
Co2 laser skin resurfacing is done by the traumatizing epidermis of the skin and it is somehow painful so dermatologists or plastic surgeons do the procedure with light anesthesia. In this way, you will feel a little discomfort during the laser procedure.
First of all, try not to pick or rub the skin of the treated areas when you are taking shower or cleaning the areas. Try to take shower without hot water because it destroys your skin. After having CO2 Laser you should think that you want to manage a second-degree thermal burn.
If you try to moist your skin, your recovery period will be shorter and the healing process will last less than usual.
There are two types of wound dressing:
• Open type: you apply an occlusive ointment (like petroleum jelly) till your skin heals completely.
• Closed type: you have to apply semi-occlusive biosynthetic dressing until the skin heals. It is painless and promotes a faster healing process. It is expensive and requires frequent clinic visits and even it increases the chance of infection.
A recovery period of CO2 laser resurfacing depends on different factors. One of these factors is the depth that the laser covers. It can last seven to fourteen days to get entire healing. Some side effects are normal and expected like swelling, redness, and itching. After two or three days they should be removed. If it lasted more contact your doctor as soon as possible. During the first week, there are varying degrees of oozing and crusting depending on the dressing used.
• Erythema (redness)
• Itching (pruritus)
• Acne flare
• Post resurfacing hyperpigmentation
• Infection (bacterial, viral, yeast, fungal)
• Contact dermatitis
• Serious complications
• Hypopigmentation (loss of skin pigment)
• Sharp demarcation lines
• Hypertrophic scars and keloids
• Tooth enamel injury
• Eye abrasion/injury
• Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)
Depending on the reason which you may have CO2 laser resurfacing the results of the procedures vary. If you'll have it for sun damage or wrinkles, the results might be satisfying near 60 to 80 percent. However CO2 laser surfacing is perfect for sun damages or wrinkles, it does not work well for scars.
Most patients are satisfied with ERMATEB'S aesthetic procedures, and the surgery results in minimal recovery time and a low incidence of complications.
On ERMATEB'S website, professional experts try to give you all instructions and information about medical and aesthetic issues. ERMATEB is one of the best medical tourism teams which tries to provide unbelievable offers for patients in all medical and cosmetic fields. We hope to contact you and answer your questions and problems. We give you a wide range of choices and you are free to choose whatever you want.
ERMATEB'S professional expert's team tries to answer all of your questions in all medical fields as soon as possible, just contact us:
Visit us on Twitter:
Contact us via Email: